* Kodakchallenges ink cartridge extortion
* Net Neutrality's leading advocates speak
* RIAAseeks ISP subscriber info, ex parte
* Richard Gere arrest order by India court
* I plan to fly SF to Paris, May 1, w/Bill
* Nanothin film of water acts like a solid
* Steven Hawking zero-gravity flight today
* USC students try to meet president 8 yrs
* Argentine court cancels pardon for abuse
* Iranian athletes invited to train in USA
* Iranian menprotest dress code crackdown
* How Hindus are hazing low-caste students
* MP3: Bill Cosby, Revenge  Stand up
* Alberto Gonzalesworth to the Whitehouse
* US Senate Judiciary to interviewMcNulty
4/20/07World Bank President cancels appearance
* Senators get Gonzales correction on Carol Lam
* Judiciary Committee Republicans respond to AG
* Abramoff scandal ensnares Rep. Doolittle R-CA
* FBIraids family business of Rep. Renzi R-AZ
* Vermont Senate passes impeachment resolution
* Iran reverses conviction for killing corrupt
* NATO chief notes fear of Euro based missiles
* Ghost yacht off Great Barrier Reefengine on
* Map reveals secret of awesome Mavericks wave
4/19/07Dems include timetables in war funding
* RNC claims it's emailbelongs to White House
* Conservatives hope Thompson seeks Presidency
* SCOTUSallows 2003 law targeting infanticide
* Colorado student arrested for chilly comment
4/14/07Starting war on false assumption costly
* Henry Rollinsreflects on Iraq tours with USO
* America becoming a nation of frightened wimps
* Wolfowitz is another Bush buddy with no shame
* Duke case only the most obvious of rogue DA's
Opinion: here in the US, the Speaker of the
House of Representatives is 2nd in line to
the President, after the Vice President. She
recently visited the Middle East where over
100,000 US troops were sent four years ago
- in principle because according to the US
Constitution only Congress can borrow/spend
the money required for more fighting. Pelosi
also engaged in something Bush and Secretary
of State Rice seem incapable of - diplomacy.
[Continued... 300 words after the jump]
* Josh Wolf case shows need of Reporter Shield Law
* NH Legislature rejects Federal RealID Act, 268-8
* Exiled Pakistani leader Benazir Bhuttocomeback?
* Lost hikers surviveFrench Guiana jungle 7 weeks
* 4 million yr old whale skeleton found in Tuscany
Personal: my friend Mugs asked me which is more
important, knowledge or expression? I answered
a few hours later by asking the difference. On
this blog, knowledge is expression. Documenting
news reports as well as my choices in music and
film. I've published my photographs, documented
travels, and written opinion pieces - I support
freedom of information. [Meaning of Life, cont]
* Catholics pressure NY City studio to remove art
* 20 commonly accepted historical facts - debunked
* Accessibility Browser created by blind IBM staff
* Planets commonly found round tight stellar pairs
* AP reporter's diary warms case of Amelia Earhart
3/30/07 Israeli calls Arab Peace Planrevolutionary
* EUbacks Brits. Demands Tehran release 15 Marines
* Fmr Official: Justice Dept used to skew elections
* Democrats allow transcribed closed door testimony
* GSA Chiefasked staff tohelp Republicans in 2008
* 1st person narratives of Americans born into slavery
* Forensics team filing papers to exhume Houdini [NYC]
* Jane Goodallvisits Chicago Zoo's Chimpanzee exhibit
* Taiwan blocks highway for annual Butterflymigration
* Porscheenters bid on VW, Europe's largest car maker
3/23/07Whitehousedenies obligation to answer Senate
* Resigned Justice Dept aid Kyle Sampson will testify
* New US Attorneys chosen for vote suppressionskills
* Bush Energy Policy advisor Steven Griles, sentenced
* Ahmadinejad trip to address UN foiled by US customs
* How to make America more innovative and competitive
* Greenland's ophiolitestructures 3.8 billion yrs old
* Alcohol/tobacco medically more harmful than LSD/MDMA
* Etymology of Geek: Shakespeare Geck; 1953pencilneck
* John Watersnew children's Christmas film, Fruitcake
3/22/07Episcopal bishops regret Anglican communion rule
* California State College Faculty Union approves strike
* Veterans Affairs Dept schedule for rating disabilities
* Democrats question Justice Dept about Abramoff, others
* Appleships wireless set-top TV streamer [US$299/Spam]
3/21/07USinitiates contact with Palestinian Unity govt
* Justice Dept email "document dump" features18-daygap
* House Judiciary votes to subpoena Rove, Sampson, Miers
* Limbaugh calls Schwarzenegger Democrat. Arnold replies
* Merkel: NATOshould debate US missile shield in Poland
* Conversation at Adult table as imagined at Kids table
* Skyhook residential US WiFi mapping database revealed
* State Pharma-Physicianpayola sunshine law unenforced
* Antibiotics prescribed for infections caused by virus
* Word of the Day: whimsy, fanciful notion, [whim-wham]
This is not about Fired Attorneys: the symbolic center
of the US Attorney scandal is Rove protege Tim Griffin,
sweating bullets today, because though he has replaced fired US Attorney Bud Cummins, his nomination for the
post hasn't beenannounced. [250 wordsafter the jump]
After Bill Clinton became President in 1993, Attorney
General Reno fired 9380 US Attorneys. Apologists
for Bush's Attorney General Gonzales claim media bias prevents comparisons with recent replacement of eight
US Attorneys that were appointed by Bush in 2001. But
the facts defy comparison. [300 wordsafter the jump]
* James Hansen world's mostoutspokenclimate researcher
* Electrostatic spacecraft wouldsurf on magnetic fields
* Photocopy machines have hard drives that recordcopies
* Obscurantist CartographerNikolas Schiller's alt-maps.
* London burrito entrepreneur trades cart for new truck.
* Chinese Blogger's poll ousts Forbidden City Starbucks.
* Britsvolunteer data to Big Brother, or lose passport.
* Translationinfancy: Finnegan's Wake in basic english.
* Design of Burningman's Black Rock City - requirements.
* Road markings, signs could one day be changed at will.
* US, Iran and Syria continue Baghdad peace talks today.
* Truth to Power: Fengspeaksto Republican Congressman.
* Thumb-cuff export eased. * Defence Trade Advisory meet.
* US high risk home mortgage lenders face looming crisis.
* Internet celebrity Ze Frank posts last of daily videos.
Free Speech is NOT:
* Yelling FIRE in a crowded theatre.
* Joking about a bomb at the Airport.
* Dressing like a commando to school.
* Joking about George Bush in public.
Nevada Democrats cancel Fox News debate, after "joke".
I've read that Liberals can't see the joke is on Bush.
But our President's incompetence is not funny. Should
I really believe Fox News CEO Roger Ailes was putting
down President Bush? What is definitely not funny about
Mr Ailes crack is that Neoconservatives often insinuate Democrats are al Qaeda sympathizers. Even a "joke" that
suggests Senator Barack Obama is in the bin Ladenposse isn't funny unless you think bungled military adventure
is funny. No sir, the President is no longer funny, ever.
3/7/07Y2K-type anticipation of Bush DST change, Sunday.
* Hypermiler is obsessive about vehicle fuel efficiency.
* Dysgraphia: normal reading skills, difficulty writing.
* Ex-"Google Answers" researchers launch Q&A site. [Via]
* My Father's 2nd annual memorial ski trip at Northstar.
3/6/07Libby perjury trial verdict convicts on 4 counts.
* Juror sympathy for the fall guy - Iraq policy gone bad.
* Fitzgerald: Libby put cloud over the Whitehouse, not I.
* Fitzgerald: facts justified investigation, not verdict.
* Fox News reports Libby not guilty. Wikipediarocks MSM.
3/5/07 US cellular service companies trying tokill WiFi.
* FCC forces rural phone companies to carry VoIP traffic.
* Telecommunications Museum hasevery 2-way wired device.
* Whitehouse panel rubberstamps NSA/Treasury data mining.
* US troops in Sadr City. No weapons found, & no arrests.
* Walter Reed Veterans hospital is US systemcrown jewel.
* Congressmen implicated in purge of Federal Prosecutors.
* US Senator Domenici R-NM, sorry for call to Prosecutor.
* San Diego Congressman Issacomplained about Carol Lam..
* New Colorado immigration law requires new prison labor.
* Libby trial judge says he was "misled" by defense team.
* Assassination attempt inspires Cheneysmile for camera.
* Chinese Parliament's 3000 delegates meet 3 days a year.
* Richard Branson, Rupert Murdoch fighting over UK PayTV.
* Worldwide stock slide enters 2nd week - except at NYSE.
3/1/07US Prosecutorcallshisdismissalpolitical payback.
Like several other US Federal Prosecutors, New Mexico's David Iglesias was asked by the Bush Administration to
resign this month, 2 years before completing his Senate
confirmed term... [150 more wordsafter the jump]
* MP3: Steve Miller, Evil. Don't worry about your revenge..
* Cosmologist Hawking to experience simulated weightlessness
* Depression correlated withhippocampi - or spatial memory.
* Melissa Etheridge won't run into homo-hater Michael Savage
* Former RNC Chair Mehlman wants to end culture of ferocity.
* US issues specs on internal passportrequired by May 2008.
* Cheneydemands be cited as senior administration official.
* Candidate McCainsays US soldier's lives "wasted" in Iraq.
* Candidate Chuck Hagelstatement on Baghdad regional talks.
* Ohio Republican Neyquotes Garth Brooks on way to prison.
* Episcopal Church put on notice from Anglican bully pulpit.
* Greek archeologist finds statue of Hera under Mt. Olympus.
* Thirteen Towers, Chankillo Peru, sign of ancient Sun cult.
* Oldest knownphotograph, Joseph Niepce, France, 1826. Via
* ETA hunger striker De Juana Chaos released to house arrest
* DVD: Candy  James Coburn, Richard Burton, John Huston
Marlin Brando, Walter Matthau, Ringo Starr Thx James Cannon
2/28/07Arab League agreed Israel's right to exist in 2002.
* Iran, Syria invited to talks on Iraq with the US, Britian.
* Obama ridicules Cheney comment on British troop reduction.
* Feingold: Dems proposal readslikeNew War Authorization.
* Democrats seek testimony from ousted federal prosecutors.
* Evidence Chimpanzees make & use weapons on mammalian prey.
* Lactose intolerance widespread til afterdairy farming est.
* Clericus Cup fields 16 teams from Catholic schools in Rome.
* Islam a killjoy? What does the literature say aboutMusic?
* Padilla going to trial. 4+ yr interrogation under AUMF law.
"Moral responsibility is what is lacking in a man when
he demands it of a woman." ~Karl Kraus [1874-1936]
L'Orfeo performed Feb 24, 1607. [Mantua]
* Evidence of first human migration to the Americas revised.
* Recent Antarctic discoveriesinclude "psychedelic octopus"
* Largest polar research program in 50 yrs starts March 1st.
* Down Syndrome mice improve on Ginkgo. [1/773 human births]
2/25/07Seymour Hershon Pentagon's Iran scenarios. [fixed]
* Virginia lawmakers' unanimous profound regret for slavery.
* Maliki rewards police after Iraqi woman's rape allegation.
* BelgianSWIFT firm sides with US in civil liberties breach
* Birdseye of the US National Security Agency [NSA]. Spooky.
* Atmospheric data from 14 of 200+ known extrasolar planets.
* ESARosetta comet chaser swingby within 150 miles of Mars.
* Save the Internet video "lucid, BS-free, and entertaining"
* Paleoarts hominid heritage model & portrait gallery. [Via]
* Brain maps, atlases & infographics oldandnew. [Thx Mugs]
2/24/07Canadaspikes law allowing indefinite detentions..
* Obama "When Cheney says it's good you've got big problems"
* Brits lured into Forest Gateraidbyspy over pay dispute?
* Terence McKenna's library destroyed by fire [Monterey CA].
* Famous people & fictional characterswithautistic traits.
Fishing Expedition: I named a guitar exercise "Blue"
- back at a time when my naming scheme was for colors.
The name comes from the ocean, and helps me remember a
story from the mid 90's, when a fisherman kept officials
from boarding his boat for two days, until they refered
the case to desk jockeys onshore. Off the coast of Santa
Cruz California, Jim Blaes had too many visits from the
US Coast Guard, and one day denied boarding unless they
left their weapons behind... [continue reading]
Today, Vice President Cheney is trying to explain comments equating Speaker Pelosi's position on the
War in Iraq with that of sworn US enemies. He refers
to "being accountable for the results" of withdrawal,
and to playing to the hand of al Qaeda..
But is he accountable for his administration's failed
planning and execution of the invasion? An invasion
which played directly to al Qaeda's publicized world
view? An invasion of Iraq that was planned for months if not years has become an occupation that continues
to encourage people sympathetic with the US on 9/11 to now side with those in opposition to US interests.
Like other conservatives in positions of power, the
louder they talk about a moral stance, the stronger
is the chance that they practice the very opposite.
As Pro-Life governor of Texas, Bush signed a bill
allowing removal of life support when a patient's
family can no longer afford it. From Ted Haggard's
position as Leader of the National Association of
Evangelicals he preached the evils of adultery and
homosexuality while having gay sex outside marriage.
Congressman Foley was a leading child advocate until
he was found to be a child predator. Self righteous,
and now resigned and indicted Speaker of the House
Tom Delay lead one of the most corrupt sessions of
Congress in history. Leading conservative talk radio
host Rush Limbaugh's 25 million listeners heard about
the evils of illegal drug use while he was addicted
to powerful painkillers obtained illegally.
But no example compares with a nation's most senior
Leaders weakening the political, moral, and military
position of the nation they have publicly sworn to serve.
The louder they talk the less chance they walk the walk.
The Vice President's suggestion that the Speaker of the
House is sympathetic with US enemies begs the question
of whether he is himself acting in the national interest.
* US Govt is collectingallemails to and from Americans.
* US Govt pushing fear of Marijuana over medical science.
* Nobel Prize winner will run for President of Guatamala.
* Japan raises interest rate to 0.5%, highest since 1995.
* I sawThe Shins, Seattle's Paramount Theatre last night.
* Offshore US prisoners habeas corpus case goes to SCOTUS.
* Drug trafficking & marriage fraud filed as terror cases.
* No rush to judge big GOP donor accused of funding terror
* Barry Bonds signed with Giants; arrived Spring Training.
* MP3 Ken Nordine, Word Jazz v.1, Anytime, anytime. [NSFW]
* Several genes & environment factor into Autism spectrum.
* Anglican conservatives talk merger with Catholic Church.
* XM/Sirius merger goes to FCC. Chrysler in talks with GM.
* Fox News Brit Hume desperateAd hominem libel of Murtha.
* McCain: Rumsfeld among the worst of Defence Secretaries.
2/18/07 Explosions inside Iranlinkedto US backed groups.
* Clinton calls for troops to come home. McCain skips out.
* Senator Hagelopento Congressman Murtha Iraq proposal..
* Deadly serious headline carriespic of Death Metal fans.
* Carnival, from "solace of the flesh." Voluntary madness.
* Israel, US, Europeansdon'twant Palestinian unity govt.
* Washington PostvisitsWalter Reed Army Medical Center..
* US prosecutor for West Washington's dismissal a mystery.
* Rove aid installed as US prosecutor for Arkansas skips..
* Pop Idol shaves her head and gets a tattoo. Best wishes.
* Luxembourgmakeover for 2007 Culture Capitaldesignation.
* Putin backs Defense Minister Ivanov, ahead of elections.
* 1,000,000 orders for $100 PC's fromOne Laptop Per Child.
* RIAA trying to outsource shakedowns to ISP's of accused.
* Rachel's Systems/Layers title track  Instrumental.
2/12/07 Why is a US Government Official grantedanonymity
when pronouncing that Iran is arming US enemies in the
battlefield? This kind of unnecessary anonymity helped
lead to the war in Iraq. I might assume that this story
yesterday represents a justification for a wider war.
DearJosh Partlow of the Washington Post Foreign Service,
you and your fellow Journalists should collectively shun
cynical requests by power brokers for anonymity, instead
reserving that special right for likes of whistleblowers, the persecuted, and to safeguard lives of innocent people.
Journalists should use their entrusted public position
to safeguard our public debate with reliable information
- especially when human lives are at stake. I think the
public has a right to know precisely who is using his
position as US public servant to announce that Iranian
Leaders are arming US enemies in the battlefield.
* US ballot measurerequiresproof of procreation to marry.
* Portugal the only EU state indicting women for abortions.
* Branson/Gore announce $25million Carbon DioxideX Prize.
* Errol Morrisdocumentary explores context of Abu Ghraib.
* Video displays parts, demonstratesDa Vinciautomobile.
2/8/07Mistrial for US soldier who calls Iraq war illegal.
* US Defense Secretary: "debate on Iraq won't hurt morale"
* Russerttestifies he never spoke with Libby about Plame.
* BritsarrestMuslim convert for "encouraging terrorism".
* Israeli bomb squad draws fire for crossingUN blue line.
* Sarah Silvermanparody of Al Gore film Inconvenient Truth.
* Global Warming worry not. Bush secret plan to End Weather.
* IP Addressblocks used by Terrorist Surveillance Program.
* Inspector General callsCheney son-in-lawstumbling-block.
* Two spaces after a period useful beforeproportional fonts
* Court rules cops don't need warrant toattach GPS device.
* Several states join Maine to oppose Nat'l Drivers License.
* US Attorney General considers legal frameworks "optional".
* 13% of GOP in Congress believe man causesGlobal Warming.
* John Edwards details his Universal Health Care proposal.
2/4/07 As the Superbowl began, Artemis and I walked among
evergreens and moss at the back of Mookberry. Upon our
return she settled on her haunches and gazed intently
up at a bird flirting playfully in a bush. Inside the
house I poured coffee and turned on the Sony Trinitron.
Missed the pregame show by Cirque du Soleil, and the first everopening kickoff runback for a touchdown. It's raining
for tonight's game in Miami. Announcer notes that the home
fields of the Chicago and Indianapolis teams are separated
by just 182 mi/300 km.
At halftime, Princesegued intoAll Along The Watchtower..
with great wild guitar sounds. Walking out onto appendages
of his Prince-symbol shaped stage, seen on livingroom TV
screens through wet camera lenses. On to Purple Rain, more
wild guitar, silhouette projected on huge fluttering sheet.
Audience singing the refrain..
Making it a point to watch the TV commercials. Appreciated
the uplifting, socially conscious advertisements for Coke before halftime. I actually cheered a spot for Garmin GPS.
One theme I've seen alot in the commercials this year is
portrayal of collective/public nudity by average people
- such as the PT Cruiser on a downtown street beneath
office buildings.. stopped by people who are tearing off
their clothes - and a spot where several people weigh
themselves on upright scales, their shoulders bare. In
another ad, from an angle slightly above, we are shown
groups of men riding bikes, almost every one bald.
* Gitmo's new Camp 6 solitary confinement leads to madness..
* US Attorney General won'tanswer Senator onCanadian Arar.
* Pakistani Shiite/Sunni conflict caused 300+ deaths in 2006
* Far-right members of Euro Parliament denied chairmanships.
2/3/07GrandAyatollah"Werealize desperate need for unity"
* Palestinian gunmen ignore truce and Arab mediation effort.
* Brit submits UK Muslims call outpreachers of intolerance.
* US Prosecutors try capital punishment in areas without it.
* Libby cited journalists as source of Whitehouse' CIA leak.
* Newspaper headlinessuccumb to search engine optimization.
* Europe's biggest turkey producer culls159,000 in Britian.
* Substantial wind resource found off US mid-Atlantic coast.
* Russian ice flow breaks free, 100's of fishermen stranded.
* Iconic.. Polar Bearslook stranded [Canadian Ice Service].
2/2/07City of Lightdimmedto notemanmade global warming.
* Big Oil offers $10,000 for scientists who dispute report.
* Howto: report scientific research to a general audience.
* Anticipation of acceptance speech should Gore take Oscar.
* Ways to observe character include treatment of waitstaff.
* Marketplace of Ideas - USC shames silent student protest.
* NJ Public School Teacher: Non-Christians go to Hell [NYT]
* Pentagon Detainee Affairs Secretary resigns after remark.
* Enemy combatant case precedent for "disappearing" people.
* Surveillance technology is always put to unintended uses.
* 1917 Espionage Act criminalized disloyalty to US Military.
* Top 10 privacy infringingcompanies include Google. [Via]
* Viacom demand letter prelude to revenue deal with YouTube.
* Apple tells iTunes users not to upgrade to Windows Vista.
* Apple and Cisco leave court to negotiateiPhone trademark.
* US Senators near debate on Warner/Levin surge resolution.
* EFF warns KSFO radio owner ABCDisney to backoff blogger.
* Libby trial makes both spin doctors & reporters look bad.
* How manylegislators does it take to change a lightbulb?
* Swedish Government first to open embassy in Second Life.
* Designer fuel uses microbes to change sugar into diesel.
* The human body has 10 X more bacterial than human cells.
* New anti-biotics target communications betweenbacteria.
* Jon Stewart comments uncharacteristic tact of Joe Biden.
* Agent: Bonds won't sign revised contract with SF Giants.
* Demand for justicefalls prey to concern for efficiency.
* Totalitarian consequence of Enlightenment era confidence.
* US Fourth Amendment: Search & Siezure in the Digital Age.
* FBI's Internet surveillance uses vacuum cleanerapproach.
* Gonzalespresents "innovative" new FISA wiretap orders..
* Mexico City protest blames price of tortillas on biofuel.
* Bleak, depressed, rundown Leipzig is new art world mecca.
* Survey of German OpEd page responses to Munich warrants.
* MP3 Camper Van Beethoven, No Krugerrands For David instr.
* Donald Fagen, The Nightfly, New Frontier  Jazz-Rock
1/31/07 Republicans back threedifferent surgeresolutions.
* HagelreplacesMcCain as DC's straight talkin Republican.
* CoopertestifiesRovefirst to tell himPlame was at CIA.
* Munich arrest warrants issued in alleged CIA kidnappings.
* Quebec town council directs new rules at Muslim migrants.
* As usual, devil in the details of Bush environmentalism..
* Arab leaders think US caused Iranian regional ascension.
* Senators warn Whitehouse against drift to war with Iran.
* Webbexpecting letter from Rice on Bush/Iran war powers.
* If US cannot stop Iraq civil war.. must contain effects.
1/28/07MP3: Van Morrison, TB Sheets, It's Alright .
* Packaging health claims indicate the product isn't food.
* Digital Rights Managementis about technical monopolies.
* Jon Stewartparses Cheney's interview with Wolf Blitzer.
* Republicans won't filibuster resolution against surge.
* Joe Biden: President's failed policy emboldens enemies.
* Hillary: We expect Bush to extricate the US from Iraq.
* US student athletes charged w/ assault on Palestinians.
* Hamas, Fatah accept King's invitation to Mecca summit.
* Queensland drought raises prospect of water recycling.
1/27/07 State of Union "strong". Bush approval worst yet.
* Rules of engagement for US troops vs. Iranians in Iraq.
* Memetracking "Iran will greet US troops as liberators".
* Gaza neighborhood shootout over whether to fight Israel.
* Muslimsmust condemn killing in the name of their faith.
* Kurdsrefer to Iraq's constitition in opposing Oil Law.
* Libby lawyers subpoena Karl Rove for scapegoat defence.
* Joe Wilsonnever claimed Dick Cheney sent him to Niger.
* Ari Fleisher sought immunity, feared the death-penalty.
* Libby trial reveals Tim Russert is Dick Cheney's bitch.
* Darwinregretted effects of losing appreciation for arts.
* DesignDiseasecausesjudgement based on mere appearance.
* Mapping/Visualizing New Testament social networks. [Via]
* Decline of FM Country Music format blamed on immigration.
* Unseeded Serena Williamsoverwhelms #1 Sharapova 6-1 6-2.
* Undiplomatic prediction of Shia crescent over Middle East.
* Queensland coroner pinsAborigine's death on Sr. Sergeant.
* Kids are never fully weened from Magic Thinking to Prayer.
* McDonald's logo flashes briefly during Iron Chef America.
* Stryder.com available in Text Only, updated semi-weekly.
1/25/07Nine Senate Republicans back anti-surge resolution.
* House GOP Leader Boehner sets deadline for surge success.
* Former Iraq Defence Minister interprets Bush troop surge.
* Iraq Parliament seldom reachesquorum; relevance recedes.
* Recent Hezbollah incivility condemned by some supporters.
* NY Governor Eliot Spitzergets lawmakers to give up swag.
* Microsoftoffered to pay blogger to edit Wikipedia page.
* First US minumum wage hike in 10 years - blocked by GOP.
* David Gergencalls Bush foreign policy misguided as hell.
* Cheney embarrassed for asking CIA to check on Niger claim.
* Bush uses SOTU to ask American people for another chance.
* Purloined GOP talkingpoints and cheerleader cliff notes.
* Bush scornsnew Congress, congrats for Democrat Majority.
* The heart of freshman Sen. Jim Webb's Democraticresponse.
* Bush apologistslathered about Speaker Pelosi's sour face.
* Two Oscar nominations for Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.
* Bush announces doubling of US oil reserves. Prices surge.
* Read em and weep: seven years of State of the Union lies.
* Howard Huntdied. Orchestrated Bay of Pigs and Watergate.
* MP3: Neil Young, backed by CSN, Helpless [1970/Lyrics].
This line from the President's speechfocuses my anger.
"This isn't the fight we entered in Iraq, but it is the
fight we're in."
We are not only now engaged in the same war started
4 years ago, and the same struggle continued over the
centuries by other invading powers, our soldiers are
also now in the midst of religious conflicts fought
between locals here for centuries, if not millennia.
If our young people are sent to war, we must know that
our leaders are familiar with histories and cultures,
particularly those relevant to war itself. If leaders
are bold in launching war, they had better show success.
Especially for a war the President trumpeted would be at
"a place and time of our choosing". Current leaders have
not only been reckless with human life, but failed to
gain anything by it's loss.
Now the "surge" has begun with fighting around Baghdad.
And I sense the fatalism of a taxi driver passing on a
blind curve. The President is taking a more active role
in commanding armed forces, with what seems a desperate,
perhaps despotic faith. The world must watch as he tries
to rescue some element of success for the US mission there.
Stockholm Syndrome possesses kidnap victims to misplace
faith in their captors. And while I've grown accustomed
to the anger of betrayal in my heart, I must also hope
my brothers and sisters in Iraq are delivered safely home.
1/21/07Michael Brownrevealsmore Katrina response politics.
* Bait and Switch: Bush New Way ForwardnowFull Speed Ahead.
* Farming watchdog accuses Wal-Mart of mis-labelingorganics.
* NSFW: subliminal, graphic image in 80's era Coke ad poster.
* NSFW: FrailCastro - longtime nemesis of American hegemony.
* Indian capsule deploys load & splashes down, Bay of Bengal.
* Police patrol Bangaloretech capitalon Hindu/Muslim riots.
* Standards, development consortia formTheLinux Foundation.
* Second Lifeparodysite receives proceed and permit letter.
1/20/07 Senators differ on wordingoftroop surge resolution.
* Days of wine and roses for our Republican friendsare over.
* PATRIOT Act purge of US prosecutors: to fatten GOP resumes?
* Only 6 Senate Dems voted against makingbloggers lobbyists.
* Mondalerecounts Carter legacy on inauguration anniversary.
* Sir Edmund Hillaryin Antarctica to commemorate Scott Base.
* Int'l Herald Tribune catches up with polymath David Byrne.
* Robert Redford opens Sundance; calls for Iraq War apology.
* Prada phonedebuts in Europe.. comparable to Apple iPhone.
* Ecosexual green singles.. Metrosexuals passed use-by-date.
1/18/07Hawking: "Time to recognize dangers of climate change"
* Woody Harrelson: "It's time to ween from the dinosaur tit"
* MP3: Thievery Corporation, Khalghi Stomp [2006/Electronica].
* Twenty Yearsnow stormcloses Highway 5 outside Los Angeles.
* Cheney's credibility defining issue in Libby jury selection.
* Opinion: What factors might contribute to Global Warming?
Nothing forces us to add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere - now 1000 times more plentiful than 300 hundred years ago.
Another factor we might be able to control is the amount
of sunlight and heat that is reflected back into space and
not captured by our atmosphere. Melting bogs and tundras
are part of a feedback loop that accelerates warming with
release of methane. Other factors that might contribute to
the warming of our sea and sky are increases in the sun's
heat, or increases in heat eminating from inside the earth.
While we might all now agree Global Warming is occurring,
the question is whether anything can or should be done to
slow it's development. The "free market" can provide many
alternatives to technology that produces carbon dioxide.
Cheaper, more efficient, etc. But that will not create a
change in habits, which the economics of free markets alone
will not alter. Human nature is not so simple, nor politics.
Not only is our nation dependent on imported fossil fuels,
but the military is dependent on oil for national security.
Historically, oil dependent countries have redrawn Middle
East boundaries & backed dictators who gave legal immunity
to foreign militaries. Transnational corporations leased
oil fields from oligarchies that shared in the prosperity,
often while the population enjoyed none of the rights we
are accustomed to in democratic republics. Regardless of
whether Westerners send soldiers into oil rich countries,
our use of oil seems to require our government's complicity
in the sacrifice of dignity abroad at the hands of Western
backed secular tyrants controlling societies by denying any
redress of grievances, crushing political opposition, in
cahoots with morally blind corporations duty bound to return
profits (and oil) despite the human and environmental cost.
Moreover, there is a trend toward nationalization of natural
resources, as seen in Russia and South America. Dependence
on oil-rich nations puts the United States at a disadvantage.
Oil is a veritable weapon of politics and war, and dependence
on oil puts the United States in the middle of a global war
over natural resources that exist for the most part outside
it's territory. Is this in our best interest? We are in a
tragic and viscious cycle in which our military and very
national security depend on oil imported from the most war
torn places on earth, and from countries with whom the U.S.
is at odds, or countries such as Saudi Arabia which advocates anti-Christian attitudes in public school. U.S. missteps
in Iraq have lessened our political authority in promoting
our values around the world, and given comfort to undemocratic
forces in their fortresses of concentrated wealth and power.
There is no moral imperative to burn fossil fuels, quite
the contrary. Viable options exist, and the price nations
pay for fossil fuels far exceeds that of mere currency.
In addition to the positive effects our behaviour may
have on climate change, we can stop accepting energy that
comes at the price of human degredation abroad. Instead
of consciously contributing to carbon dioxide emissions,
we are clearly free to use existing viable alternatives,
and devote ourselves to developing new ones.
Now is the time for moral leadership on this issue from
religious, political, and corporate leaders. [Thx Mugs!]
1/15/07 Brief video of me, 6 month old Artemis at Mookberry.
* MLK had Baptist preaching style, Unitarian thinking style.
* Presidential hopefulsaddress Carolina's confederate flag.
* Iraqi Gov'tbotches hanging of former intelligence chief.
* 50 US active duty officers deliver petition to Congress.
1/14/07 40th anniversary of the San Francisco "Human Be-In".
* Pentagon unlawfully retains data on war protestors. [NYT]
* Senate billrestricts non-commercial use of online radio.
* Canadamayremove Fair Use provision from copyright laws.
* $130 cassette player for PC that convertstapes to MP3's.
1/13/07 US Senate didn'tauthorize President to attack Iran.
* Negroponte: al-Qa'ida leaders secure hide-out is Pakistan.
* India's new foreign minister meets Musharraf in Islamabad.
* Pix of 19th century UK campaign against Pashtun tribesmen.
* Labour Party appoints 1st Arab Muslim to Israeli cabinet.
* Secular Fundamentalists question foundations of religion.
* Harper's: HowtheChristian Right re-imagines US history.
* Atomic Scientists' Doomsday Clockmoves forward 1 minute.
* Multilingualismdelays onset of dimentia for a few years.
* US pizzarias that accept Mexican pesos get death threats.
* Swedish Minister of Integration knows what freedom isn't.
* Nepalese Maoists select parliamentary group to join gov't.
* Report on Pakistani Kalash valley's Pagan Winter festival.
* Transnationals offered minority stakes in Venezuelan oil.
* The Pirate Bay bittorrent tracker wantsoffshoreSealand.
* Photo essay on five Northern US states' border crossings.
* Tools found in Minnesota, among continent's oldestknown.
* Design magazine Wallpapersubscribes to "Less But Better"
* Iconoclast Ron Paulwill run for President as Republican.
* FCCwould require US Librarians to spy on local children.
* Deppproducing adaptation of forthcoming Litvinenko tome.
* Eater.com's restaurant bloggersupset New York publicists.
* Indie Publisher's marginal authors get NY Times reviews.
* US Air Force's Pan-STARRS would detect near-earth objects.
* ImomusMixMusic By FriendsFor The Radio In France [mp3]
* Iraq may delayexecutions after Saddam hanging weaponized.
* European Commission addressespolitical costsof oil, gas.
* Minimum Wage hike approved by new Democratic US Congress.
* Sports columnists vote downMark McGwire for Hall of Fame.
* Appleanticipated cost of infringing copyright on "iPhone"
* Liberal or Conservative tendencies mirrorcharacter traits.
* New York City sees no December snow first time since 1877.
* 2006 tops US warming trend in records compiled since 1895.
* 2006 warmest on record in England. Mildest fall in 300 yrs.
* Warm rainy weather across The Alps stops World Cup skiers.
* NY Times: Happiness among Danes due to lowerexpectations.
* Both US & Venezuelan delegations at Ortega's inauguration.
* Fisherman finds piece of missing Indonesian passenger jet.
* Queensland aboriginal activist warns of possible violence.
* Tarantinoremaking WWII pic. Stallone to direct Poe biopic.
* MP3: Overture, The Red Violin  featuring Joshua Bell.
* MerkelslamsPutin's closure of oil pipeline across Belarus.
* Schwarzeneggercalls for universal health care in California.
* Bookies favor London Exchange to resist Nasdaq's hostile bid.
* Serena Williamsback after 4 month recovery. *Nadalinjured.
1/7/07Abbasdeclares police illegal.. Dahlanrallies Fatah.
* CBS: Litvinenkowas to blackmail expat oligarch Berezovsky.
* NYT: Benefits of partying naked include better conversation.
* LA Times: US obstructs financing of Iranian oil exploration.
* Iraq offers30 year leases to US & British oil corporations.
* MedievalSibiu, Transylvanianamed2007 EU culture capital.
* Transnational far-right caucusforms at European parliament.
* Non-EU ministates/zones unilaterally adoptingEuro currency.
* Symptoms & prospects of Eurozone growth vis a vis US Dollar.
* Defused bomb claimed by Basque ETA ends Spanish peace talks.
1/4/07 Keith Ellison swearing in on Thomas Jefferson's Koran.
* Ellison greets Goode on House floor, invites him for coffee.
* PelosirejectsC-SPANrequest to move cameras during debate.
* General Abizaid's replacement will now oversee two land wars.
* Bush Doctrine: Do it on the cheap. Wear rose colored glasses.
9/7: the edges of the radio spectrum, subatomic particles with no weight and no charge, truths that hang in the air unspoken, and all the places you aren't supposed to go...
National Public Radio This American Life Invisible Worlds [60 min.]